From a dependent department to the famed Seminario Conciliar de San Carlos or the Seminario Mayor de San Carlos which was founded by Bishop Joaquin Arevalo in 1700s, and was developed by the Vincentian Fathers, started by Fr. Casarramona in 1867, the seminario formed students and aspirants to the priesthood equipped with the academic discipline of Philosophy and Theology. During the aftermath of the second world war, the Seminario began freshly at a new site in San Jose dela Montaña where in 1949, a setting of menores occupying the ground floor while the mayores at the second floor. The college department still belonged to the menores at that time. The menor was separated in 1958 when the Seminario Menor de San Carlos was erected. Yet, the Collegiate formation remained at the seminario mayor until the incumbency of Fr. Jesus Dosado (the late Archbishop emeritus of Ozamis, a native from Sogod) in 1971 when a new beginning began in the history of the Archdiocesan Seminaries.
With Msgr. Alfeo Manalili as the rector, the college seminary operated as an independent diocesan seminary governed by Cebuano seculars. During his administration also and through the efforts of Msgr. Rodolfo “Rudy” Villanueva, the college seminary was granted by the Ministry of Education an AB degree with double major- Philosophy and English. From then on, music was inseparably imparted in the core of every seminarian. Msgr. Villanueva formed priestly aspirants with not just necessary equipments for priesthood, but also with those which rendered taste to the spirit, Music, Literature, and Language!
[bg_collapse view=”link” color=”#4a4949″ icon=”arrow” expand_text=”Show More” collapse_text=”Show Less” ]
Msgr. Felino J. Caballa, the second rector, initiated the erection of a seminary chapel that would cater not just the needs of the seminarians but also of the seminary’s neighborhood. Thus, in 1975, the construction of the St. Therese Chapel began. To add, this beloved rector truly promoted the importance of the spiritual needs of human being which he inculcated to the seminarians by means of strict and jocundious training for prayers.
In 1989, Msgr. Oscar Villamor initiated the Personality Development Programs which aims to help the seminarians to develop their human aspect. There began the Lay Companionship program which until today exists.
In 1998, then Fr. Isabelo Abarquez (now Bishop of the Diocese of Calbayog) became the Rector. He served as Rector for 4 years. His strict yet fatherly approach to the seminarians helped many of them realize the essential qualities and virtues a good Christian and an aspirant to priesthood must have.
In 2002, a major change in the internal life of the college seminary happened, with the Rector, Msgr. Roger Fuentes and the Spiritual Director of that time, Fr. Allan Delima, the seminarians were divided according to four houses: Francis, Ignatius, Augustine, and Thomas, inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts Houses.
In 2011, Fr. Nilo Igloria assumed as the seminary rector. He was succeeded by Fr. Benedicto Tao in 2014. During Fr. Tao’s incumbency, the academic curriculum of the seminary was developed and it is still being used until now.
In 2019, the incumbent Rector, Rev. Msgr. Joseph Tan started his tenure. In his hand lies the responsibility of administering to the seminary’s two great challenges. The first challenge is the ongoing seminary formation through the online platform due to the spiking threat and fearsome dangers brought by COVID-19. Because of this, we saw the significance of parishes and homes in the formation of aspirants to the priesthood. There is a suspension of the seminary policy of detaching from cellular devices when seminary formation is ongoing since the gadgets are our sole means to continue our academic routine. The second challenge is the celebration of the 50th Founding Anniversary of SCSC in the time of pandemic. There were canceled and postponed plans but the celebration has continued. Simple as it may seem, but the important thing there is the jubilant commemoration of the gift given to Cebuanos 50 years ago. For that reason, the seminary, once again, underwent major renovation projects: the re-roofing amd beautification of the oratory in honor of St. Joseph and dormitories, actualization of the Carlo Acutis Recreation Center which aimed to provide spiritual and mental relaxation for seminarians and individuals, planned improvement for an outdoor arena for concerts and socio-cultural activities , and the chapel renovations. These renovations are not mere parts of maintenance procedures but to emphasize new beginnings, new chapters to write, new memories of HAPPY DAYS AND FRIENDSHIPS TRUE that SCSC will write in history’s page.
The seminary history will never be complete without mentioning its longest running professor, Msgr. Adelito Abella, who ignited in every seminarian’s core the zeal to wander and philosophize. Together with Msgr. Rudy Villanueva, Msgr. Abella have witnessed the course of SCSC’s history, and they have been the significant figures of SCSC’s progress, and the dedicated masters who imparted their expertise to the new generations for a sight of building not just a group of intellectual priests, but citizens of goodwill and humans with an outlook of making a better world. Through them, SCSC produced products that suffice ASIA’S WAITING LANDS!
|Rector||:||Rev. Msgr. Joseph C. Tan, SThL, MPR|
|Vice-Rector / Procurator||:||Rev. Fr. Charles Louis Jayme, MPR|
|Dean of Students / Pastoral Director||:||Rev. Fr. Philip D. Pepito, MPR|
|Dean of Studies||:||Rev. Fr. Severino Escobido III|
|Spiritual Director||:||Rev. Fr. Bonnin Olivar, SThL|
|Sports Director||:||Rev. Fr. Brian Brigoli|
|Music Director||:||Rev. Fr. Roderich Teriote, JCL|
Journeying together to an integral formation that reflects the identity of the priest configured in Christ.
A community of disciples journeying to the Father, being formed by the Word, being transformed by the Spirit and sharing in the transformation of society.